Friday, April 11, 2008

Susannah Turner

5 comments:

Susannah Turner said...

I have seen my video a few times by now, I watched it after the rehearsal on my friend's camera. My final presentation will be completely different in every way. I am still working on a cohesive statement and procuring the exact point of analysis to best exemplify the phenomenon that is The L Word. The video definitely shows where I am--an overwhelmed mess--but that will work out. Also, my goal is to present a video presentation for the final. I would like feedback on 1-what is intriguing about the material, 2-what is missing (ie. blog samples) to exemplify the manner of communication, 3- major concern: I think I need to present more basic information on the show and lesbian community in general, I feel because it is a subculture by nature that the majority is unaware and needs more basic insight from the start of the presentation (but, i do have ideas for presenting this through video in the final presentation). Anyway, thanks guys, I appreciate your feedback!

Anonymous said...

Susannah,

I agree that more information about the show and the lesbian community in general would be useful in our understanding of your project. Maybe you can find an example (an interview or comments that appeared at the beginning of the show) that will demonstrate the need for the type of representation thatThe L Word provides. It's interesting that the show was rejected until Queer as Folk had already been a success. What does that say about our culture's view of the gay [men's] community as opposed to the lesbian community? That's probably another project in itself, but it stood out to me as a question raised by your intro.

The video presentation is a great idea! I think more specific examples - clips, blogs, comments in response to the show (can probably be found on YouTube) - will help you show us the authorship and the types of gossip you're talking about.

Susannah Turner said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amanda D said...

All in all i think what you are looking at is an interesting and valid point. As far as commentary just a couple of things: 1) I think a video would work well because i think in order for the audience to truly grasp what you are trying to say, you must filter in commentary, clips from the show that show the significance of the chart and media communication on the show. 2) i think it is important to make to not downplay the significance of the chart as a communication tool but also as a social history of sorts that marks the physical interaction between these characters. 3) watch your usage of the word "uummh". i am not sure if that is how you spell it, but i know what you mean. I know a lot of it probably just had to do with nerves but just be conscious of it.

In the end I think what you trying to achieve will be very interesting. Also I would like to hear more about the theoretical foundation of your project. What is the fundamental argument that you are using to convey your message? I think with these things that your final presentation will really go over well and generate some real discussion on the topic for your audience; a real learning experience.

sean ottosen said...

you may not know exactly where this is going, regarding your thesis, but it seems like you have a pretty good idea of how to get there. a video complication of certain things is a good idea, particularly for those who don't have cable, or like me who don't watch much television, and haven't seen the show. you don't have to spend too much time on the websites, though you should definitely mention the connection between "the chart" on the show and "our chart" online. see if you can get on second life and take some screen shots and perhaps match this with a setting from the show. seems like there are multiple avenues of "reality" circulating around this topic, which is fascinating. another thing: i'm curious if there is any negative criticism pertaining to the program coming from the lesbian community. all in all what comes through on this video (and your comments above) is your dedication to this project and an enthusiasm that ensures it will be appreciated by others.